59% of maintained packages support Python 3
I ran some statistics on PyPI:
- 50377 packages in total,
- 35293 unmaintained packages,
- 15084 maintained packages.
Of the maintained packages:
- 5907 has no Python classifiers,
- 3679 support only Python 2,
- 1188 support only Python 3,
- 4310 support Python 2 and Python 3.
- A total of 5498 packages support Python 3,
- 36% of all maintained packages declares that they support Python 3,
- 24% of all maintained packages declares that they do NOT support Python 3,
- and 39% does not declare any Python support at all.
So: The 59% of maintained packages that declare what version they support, support Python 3.
And if you wonder: “Maintained” means at least one versions released this year (with files uploaded to PyPI) *or* at least 3 versions released the last three years.